The Fold Food Provenance Policy Statement
Here at The Fold, we look consciously at all we serve in the café with respect to its ethical and environmental considerations for our community.
We do this with each new recipe and the buying decisions of each product. We also have meetings with representatives of the Fold community where this is considered collectively.
This doesn’t make our life easy but it does make it easier to live with ourselves – to help us feel good about the food we sell and eat. We often find it very difficult to know what decisions to make – there are so many factors to think about! But we continue this journey and welcome your thoughts.
As a guide we endeavour to purchase:
- 75% or more within 20 miles
- 15% from the rest of Britain
- 5% from Europe
- 5% from the rest of the World
Within this, as much as possible will be organically grown (though not necessarily certified) and certainly fairtrade.
All meat will certainly be of known ethical provenance, free range and preferably organic.
All root vegetables will be organic
Use of ingredients from the Fold Farm will be maximised.
Groceries will be as organic where practical.
We do not:
- use any ingredients with GM, or meat or dairy that has been fed with GM ingredients
- use any palm oil
- use any meat from industrial agriculture (i.e. wholesale)
- use any non-organic root vegetables
- buy in any ingredients that are available from the Fold Farm