Join us on this important day of global action in support of young people and future generations of all species to show we care. We will walk to Malvern with banners and give away lots of beautiful vegetables that we will bring along on a trailer!
When: Friday 20th September at Midday
Where: Meet in the Fold front car park
Why: Because we love life and we care
Bring: A picnic and a banner or something to wave!
Young people in the UK who have been striking for the climate are calling on adults to join them on Friday 20 September as part of a massive global day of action.
“This is not a single-generation job. It’s humanity’s job… Let’s all join together, with your neighbours, co-workers, friends, family and go out on to the streets to make your voices heard and make this a turning point in our history.” Greta Thunberg and 46 youth activists from the international school strike movement
Our government have declared a Climate Emergency which is wonderful.
We now call upon them to:
• Stop all subsidies and investments in fossil fuels and phase them out. Stop all fracking now. Stop burning coal.
• Support a nationwide programme to insulate the UK’s housing stock allowing us to power down energy demand
• Invest in renewable energy, including on-shore and off-shore wind, powering up our clean energy supply.
• Transform agricultural subsidies to support a food system that is good for the environment and for our health.
• Radically increase UK tree cover and enhance other natural climate solutions like soils and peatlands.
• Invest in joined-up affordable public transport, and in better infrastructure for walking and cycling.
• Cut flights through a frequent flyer levy, scrap the third runway at Heathrow and introduce aviation fuel tax.
• Invest in the creation of green jobs and provide funding for training in skills for the future.
It’s vital that all emissions are included in this plan, and we must pay our historic debts. The UK and other long-industrialised nations grew wealthy on the back of burning fossil fuels; climate justice demands that we take ambitious action now and provide both financial and technical support for less developed countries to help with mitigation and adaptation measures.
For thousands of years we have been developing more and more sophisticated ways of making, doing, working and living. Yet are we happier? Do we have more time? We live on this beautiful planet earth, a true miracle that we are slowly destroying. If we carry on with business as usual Mother Earth will throw us off.
Is it not time to take stock and find a new elegant and simpler way? To look inwards where the key to our happiness truly lies rather than outwards to the myth of the material consumer-based world.
Business as usual is suffocating us and we have to find another way. The Fold is an organisation and organism intent on finding a new way.
Come and join us!
The Fold Midday 12:15
Leigh and Bransford School 12:45/13:00 13:15/13:30
Dyson Perrins Academy 14:00/14:15 14:15/14:30
Amida Mandala 14:45/15:00 15:00/15:30
The Council House 15:30/16:00 16:00/16:30
Picnic in the park 16:00/16:30 17:00
Walk back to The Fold 17:00