This months recipe is Spring Greens with Garlic, Chilli and Yoghurt. Spring Greens are the first cabbages of the year and are often sold at varying points of maturity from very open and leafy to the more familiar dense cabbage head. They will be making an appearance in our weekly veg box scheme and farm shop this month.
Spring Greens are generally softer and sweeter than the autumn and winter types and go very well in summery recipes like the one below.
2 tsp of coriander seeds
2 tsp of mustard seeds
1 tsp crushed dried chilli flakes (or less for those with a delicate palate)
2 tbsp olive oil
3 large garlic cloves
300g of finely sliced spring greens
50g of butter
4-5 tbsp of Greek yogurt.
1. Dry fry the chilli and spice for a couple of minutes in a deep pan, they should start to release their pungent aromas.
2. Add just enough olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan, throw in the garlic, thinly sliced, and continue frying for another minute.
3. Wash the greens but don’t shake off the water, and add half to the pan, mix with the garlic and spices, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Add the rest of the spring greens, drizzle with oil and season again.
4. Cover with a lid and cook for 4 minutes over a medium heat. Don’t remove the lid, shake the pan with the lid held firmly to stir the ingredients. This way the greens will fry and steam at the same time, yummy!
5. Remove the lid and stir in the butter. Place in a serving bowl and add a few dollops of thick greek yoghurt.